Monday, January 28, 2008

Doing the 'due

I'm not one for mottos, but if I had to pick just one it might be, "The only thing better than cheese, is hot cheese." And by hot cheese I mean fondue - which is probably hot cheese at its best.

Fondue has been haunting my dreams. It started with Food & Wine magazine's January edition. Then, the NY Times ran a story about fondue in late January. Despite my best efforts to cajole Gavin into joining me for a fondue night, I was on my own. I had to do the 'due for one.

Fondue is surprisingly - and frighteningly - simple. Combined with a salad, some crusty bread and a glass (or two) of red wine, you have a very, very satisfying supper.

Classic Cheese Fondue for One
Adapted from Food & Wine magazine

4 oz. Gruyère cheese, grated
2 oz. Emmentaler cheese, grated
2 teapoons cornstarch
1 garlic clove
2 oz. dry white wine
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
Crusty French bread, cut into cubes

In a bowl, toss the Gruyère and Emmentaler with the cornstarch. Rub the inside of a heavy-bottomed saucepan (or fondue pot) with the garlic, then add the wine and bring to a simmer. Add the cheese mixture all at once. Using a wooden spoon, stir over moderately low heat just until the cheese is melted and smooth, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Serve with the bread (orange tabby optional).

No comments: