Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Soufflé - demystified

Last week's episode of The Splendid Table had a segment about souffles - specifically, how simple they are to make. I've always wanted to make a souffle, but have to admit that I also thought they must be really complicated. The segment was great and they talked about the common myths surrounding souffle: you can't open the oven door during baking, don't over beat the egg whites, and on and on. I was convinced and decided to give it a go.

The recipe and step-by-step instructions were provided on the show's website. I have to admit that I don't usually read a recipe before starting a dish. I know, I know. Everyone says you have to do this. I actually did read the entire recipe first this time and am glad I did. I also measured out all the ingredients in advance. There were some great tips in there too - like prepping the bowl for whipping the egg whites.

All in all it was a success. It wasn't easy though. I would say it was simple, but did have a lot of steps and required a fair amount of prep. I will definitely give it another go. I love working with eggs - incorporating them into hot cream or sauce, whipping egg whites, folding all the ingredients together without losing the air that will keep the dish light.

No comments: