Monday, December 15, 2008

Cure for the Common Cold

I'm sick. I'm @#$*! SICK?! I haven't been sick in over 5 years, yet this week - of all weeks, the week I leave my place of employment for the last 12 years and start a new job - I am sick.

Bourbon and I are old friends - it's seen me through some dark times. I am a firm believer in its medicinal qualities as well. I discovered a long time ago that a simple hot toddy kicks ass over Theraflu any day. The soothing warmth of honey combined with a citrus kick and the sinus-opening, throat clearing 80 Proof Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey is the cure for what ails you.

Hot Toddy
1 ounce Bourbon
2 teaspoons honey
1/4 lemon wedge, squeezed and added to the glass
4-5 ounces hot water.

Stir to combine, drink and repeat.

On a side note - the Bourbon I use for hot toddys (and Whiskey Sours for that matter) is Rebel Yell. I have hosted a couple of Bourbon tastings and this inexpensive ($15) Bourbon got high marks. It isn't one I would drink neat nor in a Manhattan, but mixed with honey and lemon it tastes mighty fine.

1 comment:

Renee said...

Hope you're feeling better Sonja! It's a quiet day at your 12 yr place - no official snow day called today, so some of us ventured in. I'm nibbling on some of the left over cheese from your going away party. Miss you already!
Take care, Renee