Friday, March 20, 2009

Feasting Friday: Oyster Edition

It's the first day of Spring - and Friday - which means it's time to feast. It was kind of rainy today, but I still wanted to get down to Pike Place Market and take a look around.

As touristy as this place is, I love the energy. Daffodils and tulips are in season, wild mushrooms are available at many stalls and the sun actually decided to make a brief appearance.

And this - RHUBARB - can you believe it? I myself am not a huge fan...but it's a sure sign that spring is on the way.

I killed some time wandering the market, taking in the sights and sounds and listening to some of the street musicians perform.

My friend Robin works near the market, so she came to meet me for this week's "Feasting Friday." That is her dog - named Friday - how perfect?!

Robin is a BIG oyster fan - like me - so she is the perfect dining companion when I have a hankering for bivalves. We went to Emmett Watson's Oyster Bar, tucked into small space away from the crowds of people. It is pretty rustic, straight forward and simple. It doesn't get simpler than menus printed on brown paper bags...

We ordered a dozen raw oysters to share. They totally hit the spot. They weren't the best oysters I've ever had. I think I realized that unless I am eating oysters freshly shucked on the beach...I prefer them in a fancy setting, served ice cold with some tangy mignonette and a strong gin-based cocktail. That wouldn't be appropriate for lunch though now would it?

No comments: