Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Incredile, Edible Egg


Sometimes I think eggs may be the perfect food. While the whites are nearly flavorless, they can be fluffed and whipped into meringues or souffles and provide loft to any dessert. The yolks are rich and flavorful and enrich any dish or sauce (think Bearnaise sauce).

The whole egg may not be greater than the sum of its parts, but for breakfast a simple soft-boiled egg is perfection itself.

I grew up eating soft-boiled eggs, which I guess is more European because no one I know really eats eggs this way. I love fried or scrambled eggs too, or an omelet now and then. Hard-boiled eggs, in my mind, are best left for egg salad sandwiches and deviled eggs. Otherwise, their texture kind of creeps me out.

Part of the appeal of the soft-boiled, I must admit, are the egg cups. I am not much of a "collector," but if I were to start a collection of anything, it may be egg cups. There are so many cute antique ones - porcelain, wood, glass - not to mention contemporary egg cups by Alessi, Bodum and others. On my last trip to Scandinavia, I found some cute eggs cups in Stockholm. The cup itself sits on top of a little base that doubles as a salt shaker. I fell in love instantly. They were sold in pairs, so now Gavin and I each have our own.













Soft Boiled Eggs
Place eggs in a small saucepan and fill with cold water until the eggs are just covered. Cover the pan and bring to a boil.

Once the water is boiling, remove the pan from the heat and let stand for 3 minutes

After 3 minutes, drain off the hot water and fill the pan with cold water and some ice cubes. Cool the eggs for 30-60 seconds.

Crack the top 1/4 of the egg off by swiftly cracking one side with a dinner knife. Gently cut away the top 1/4. Salt & pepper to taste and scoop out the warm, tasty egg from its shell bite by bite and enjoy.

No comments: