Friday, January 11, 2008

Kitchen Gear I Love (this month)

The more time I spend in the kitchen, the more I recognize how key the right tools are. I'm not talking about gadgets (we all know what a slippery slope that can be), but useful tools that really earn their space in the drawer or cupboard.

Here is a round-up of gear that is making my life easier this month:

Dansko Clogs
Standing on your feet for any length of time is tiring, particularly if your day job is sitting on your ass all day. I've been suffering from plantar fasciitis too, thanks in part to my high arches, so I needed some good arch support. While these aren't the most attractive shoes, they are damn comfortable. I can stand for hours and hours wearing them and my feet and legs feel great.

Flour Sack Towels
For Christmas this year, my mom gave me a dozen of these. I use them for everything: tucked into my apron during long cooking sessions, covering rising bread, draining freshly washed salad fixings or lasagna sheets and more.

1/4 Sheet Pan
This is such a handy sized pan to have. It easily fits in the fridge and is ideal for small batches or meals. I can't really think of what I use it for, but just know that I love it.

Electric Kettle
I am not a tea drinker, but am an Americano drinker. This kettle boils water in about a minute. If you need a hot water bath - for crème brûlée for example - this is really handy because it is easy to pour too. Of course, we also use it when we need to unclog a drain...

No comments: